There's nothing quite like fresh strawberries - sweet and plump, bursting with the pinkness of warmer weather and balmy sunshine. This recipe is just the treat for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert as the cicadas begin to chirp and the sunsets are a little later each day. Coconut and strawberry are a natural match made in heaven - they're absolutely made for each other!
The sweetness and creaminess of the milkshake is offset by the tart chunks of strawberries, as well as a more gelatinous and filling chia pudding at the bottom of the jar. The perfect brunch treat when you're having friends or family over as you can easily multiply the recipe. You can replace the strawberries for other seasonal fruit too - think mango, blueberries, pear and avocado for something a little special.
If you'd like to be crafty and prepare the pudding ahead of time, you can cut the amount of prep by half! Just keep a big batch of this chia pudding mix in your refrigerator and you can make your smoothies more substantial without the additional effort.
WHITE CHIA PUDDING
2 tablespoons of white chia seeds
1/2 a cup of Little Island coconut milk
Pinch of ground vanilla powder
STRAWBERRY COCONUT MILKSHAKE
1 banana, frozen
1/4 cup of frozen strawberries or raspberries
1/2 cup of Little Island coconut milk
2 fresh strawberries, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon of desiccated coconut
- First prepare your chia pudding by mixing together the coconut milk, chia seeds and ground vanilla in a small bowl. Whisk with a fork to disperse the seeds then set aside to thicken, whisking every few minutes to ensure no clumps form.
- Prepare your glass by slicing your strawberries and lining the side of the glass. If you press gently but firmly, the moisture of the berry will adhere it to the side of your glass making for a beautiful decoration.
- Once the chia pudding has thickened, scoop it into the jar or glass.
- Make your smoothie by first blending the frozen banana and berries, then slowly adding the coconut milk as the blender is still running. This will ensure that your smoothie is as cold and creamy as possible.
- Pour your smoothie into your jar, taking care to leave a little room at the top for garnishes to prevent overflow.
- Place any remaining strawberry slices on top, as well as the green leafy tops (which are incredibly beneficial!). Sprinkle with coconut and slurp away!